A Touch of Vintage Mantle

I'm so excited to share this project with you. I've been working for 3 weeks on this mantle. I have to say for the past 18 years, I haven't had a mantle worth showing anyone. Oh, some Christmas mantles have turned out nice, but I just haven't been inspired to give it a true style. Well that began to change a few moths ago when hubby indulged me with a trip downtown to the antique stores. His patience was amazing, for when I go antiquing, I have to look at EVERYTHING, and SLOWLY!

On that trip, I fell in love with a pair of old paned windows. But, I held back. The budget didn't allow for a purchase like this, I mean they were $40 a piece. So, I was good, and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited. I wouldn't even allow myself in the stores. It nearly killed me.

Then a few weeks ago, I was given some of the most lovely birthday gifts. They were all lovely, and a few allowed me to once again enter these beautiful shops. I was in heaven! I shopped and shopped. Driving to my own downtown area, and a nearby antique hot spot in Jenks. I first found the perfect windows, at the perfect prices! I got all three of these beauties for less than the cost of one of the windows I found back in October. Booyah!

Then I determined the look I wanted and hunted for little treasures to finish it off. Hope you like it. Now that it's done, I'm excited to change it up for different holidays and seasons. I already have Valentines Day planned.

But, let me give you a rundown on what I got and what I made.

The windows came from River City Trading Post in Jenks, America (actually Oklahoma, but we all say Jenks, America). It's a quaint little suburb of Tulsa full of adorable antique stores. This one is more of an antique mall. It's amazing! The lace curtain was mine, so happy I kept it after all these years. I just used thumb tacks to secure it to the back of the window.

This, I made. I purchased the white styrofoam cone, wide ecru lace, and heart buttons from Hobby Lobby. The bird and green gem are brads by Spare Parts, leftover from my Lace Brooches project, along with the dark ecru lace and white lace. I found the silver trim in my stash. Finally, the aged pearl necklace was from my grandmother. I was always afraid to wear it, just sure the strand would break, but now I can feature it for all to see! Everything was secured with small sewing pins.

I started with the cone and lace, then slowly found more and more to add. The buttons needed a piece of string tied through for the pin to go through.

Found these plus all of the pearls at My Papa's Barn in Broken Arrow, OK.

 Both bud vases and this oil lamp came from The Hitching Post also in Broken Arrow.

 These were past gifts. I had them on the mantle before, and I'm so glad they work into the color scheme.

The candle stick came from Hobby Lobby and the candle from Michaels.
The silver trim, again, came from my stash.

It make me so happy to look at this. Hubby just smiles and says he's glad I am happy with it. I've promised him it won't have this romantic look all of the time. After Valentine's Day, it will get a Spring makeover, then move into a simpler look for Summer. Can't wait to share them all with you.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. What treasures have you hunted down? What would you do, or do differently?







This post has been linked up to the following parties: 52 MantlesSix Sisters' StuffShaken Together Life,  One Artsy Mama, Create Craft Love, Uncommon Designs, and Petals to Picots.

Comments

  1. Wow! I love it! I have always had a thing for old windows and you've used them perfectly. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey, I'm glad you were able to come up with a mantle you really like. I love the windows - have always been a fan of old windows. My favorite kind are the free kind. Do you live in Jenks? I lived in OKC for 30 years and my husband grew up in Tulsa. My MIL lives in Broken Arrow. I'm glad to know that Jenks has such great antiquing and thrifting - I'll have to hit the shops their next time I come to OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Broken Arrow, but grew up in South Tulsa, so Jenks is part of my old stomping grounds. You really should check it out. So many great stores, I love it!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Created in Awe is one of the 11 blogs that I've chosen to take the "Liebster Award". Check this post and have fun!!! http://imagineyourhomes.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is BEAUTIFUL! love it!

    Shelly- minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts